Fwd: "International Domain Names" support in KDE

Krall, Gary gkrall at verisign.com
Mon Mar 10 17:49:52 GMT 2003

Thiago:

Just checking in and I wanted to let you know that the standards have been
released for IDNs.  The specific RFCs guiding implementation are:

IDNA: RFC 3490 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3490.txt)

nameprep: RFC 3491 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3491.txt)

punycode: RFC 3492 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3492.txt)

stringprep:  RFC 3454 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3454.txt)

As I may have mentioned in my previous emails, currently all IDNs for .com
and .net are registered in the RACE encoding format which was a precursor to
Punycode.  We, along with JPNIC the holder of .jp names (which are the only
effected domains), are planning a migration from the RACE names to Punycode.
The Verisign schedule is to cutover to the new standard no later than
7/19/2003 at which time all RACE names will need to be migrated to the new
standard and will no longer resolve in DNS.  Any other ccTLDs (for example
.cn, .tw, .hk, etc) who will be launching an IDN service WILL NOT launch
with RACE but instead will launch with Punycode.  In the short term, ~4
months, if you wanted to support .com and .net names you would need to
support RACE and add the mltbd extension.  With that said, by July all names
for any TLD will support ONLY Punycode.  In addition, we are actively
working on a revised version of our publically domain Xcode libraries (for
both Java and C) which will be available on or before the 9th of April,
2003.  This update will include changes to the NamePreparation libraries in
conformance with the final RFC.

Hope you find this information useful.

Gary.