glib in kdesupport: yes or no?

Adam Treat manyoso at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 9 23:43:26 GMT 2003

On Sunday 09 March 2003 11:15 pm, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 05:34:24PM -0800, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > On Sunday March 09, 2003 03:59, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > > or perhaps another way to put it:
> > >
> > >  - choice is good, platform fragmentation is bad
> >
> > The GNOME founders should have thought of that before fragmenting off
> > with GNOME instead of joining KDE in 1996.
>
> I don't think rehashing that old argument is very practical.  Everyone
> honestly feels that their side had a good rationale back then (almost
> 6 years ago) and throwing blame around isn't going to help us now any
> more than it did then.

Hey, the people that thought this was so practical back then now can't have Qt
in any shared libraries because it is GPL.  Sounds like a pretty big and
fundamental disagreement.  So, fine, whatever about 6 years ago, how about
the reasoning behind the turnaround?  Explain why Qt can't be used now?  The
only thing I can surmise is the influx of commercial decisions into GNOME.  I
don't care about this and you've already said that RedHat doesn't care about
Qt's licensing.  So what were your technical reasons?

Adam