KSplash/ML donation?

Gary Greene greeneg at student.gvsu.edu
Sat Mar 8 09:56:08 GMT 2003

On Saturday 08 March 2003 3:25 am, you wrote:
> On Samstag, 8. März 2003 03:59, Brian Ledbetter wrote:
> > > I highly agree on this part since there are some small but nagging
> > > areas in the KSplash/ML code-base that are in a great need of fixing.
> > > For one: the fact that NONE of the changes that you do using the
> > > customization dialog are saved when you press apply. Don't get me
> > > wrong, I LIKE KSplash/ML much more than KSplash, it just needs some
> > > code
> > > clean-ups/fixes to be 100%.
> >
> > Excellent point, Gary and Allan.  This is exactly the kind of thing I
> > have not had the time or energy at the end of the day to get in and
> > implement, which is why I hope the project can find a new home here.  If
> > anyone needs pointers on the APIs I have implemented to support splash
> > screen themeing, or if any of the code doesn't make sense, I am certainly
> > available to explain myself..  :)

> > definitely be supportive of some unified API which took into account both
> > login (KDM), splash (ksplash or /ml), and screensaver password dialog
> > interfaces, along with any additional integrations (kicker?
> > kpersonalizer?) which would need to happen to make life easier on the end
> > user.  I'd be interested in seeing what kind of ideas come out of it, and
> > would love to participate in any way my limited time could offer...
>
> The only issue that's on my list is that you need to make sure that the
> default themes you offer shouldn't run us into legal trouble with any
> companies (I think the windows xp one possibly could but I'm not sure on
> the details). Otherwise I'm fine with replacing ksplash with ksplashml
> (well, just change ksplash and make it ksplashml witout renaming too much
> stuff in CVS) and then go ahead.
>
> Ralf
>
> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Brian Ledbetter <brian at shadowcom.net>
> > http://www.shadowcom.net/brian/

Actually, Microsoft can't cause any problems for the XP theme due to several
precidents created when Apple Comp. sued Microsoft for damages because of UI
similarities in the early '90s. The ruling was that you cannot copyright the
look and feel of a UI. However, you can trademark it. If I'm not mistaken,
the Luna environment of Windows XP (aka NT 5.1) isn't trademarked. I'm
looking into this however, for completeness sake.

- --
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from uriel.gvsu.edu
 04:34:24 up  4:14,  3 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.03, 0.00
Founder and president of the Grand Valley Linux Users Group.
  -=<http://www.gvlug.org>=-
Chief Systems Architect, S4, Inc. - OS Department.
 -=<http://www.s4linux.com/>=-
Project Lead for the Sentinel Linux OS Project (KOMODO)
PHONE : 331-0562
EMAIL : greeneg at student.gvsu.edu