bad gcc's (2.96 20000731) (Was: Re: Confirm bugs! (Was: Re: About 3.2 - note to bugfixers))

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sat Mar 8 12:29:42 GMT 2003

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 10:01:28AM +0200, Andras Mantia wrote:

> On 2003. March 08., Saturday 09:47, Alexander Kellett wrote:
> > this reminds me.
> >
> > 3 closed bugs in keditbookmarks up to now due to some
> > crappy 2.96 compiler in "redhat asp 7.3" that miscompiles
> > basically every line of the code.
> >
> > i _really_ don't want to see them as confirmed.
>
> Well, but as you admit that it's a valid bug on such systems, I think you
> should confirm it,

no! "confirm" means "confirm that this report belongs into this bug data
base". <insert your favorite distributor here>'s bugs don't -> resolve
as invalid right away.
otherwise you would have to confirm almost every report, as most of them
are real, even if it's a case of PBKAC *). i don't see a difference between
a user's mistake and one of a distributor from the bts point of view.

> and close/resolve with a comment regarding that this is a bug in their
> compiler/system, not in the code. You can set up a predefined text for
> this message in KBugBuster. :-)

sure. but without confirming first.

greetings

*) for the unknowing: "problem between keyboard and chair"