glib dependancy in KDE3.x

Stefan Westerfeld stefan at space.twc.de
Fri Mar 7 19:41:48 GMT 2003

   Hi!

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 02:28:15PM -0500, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> > But this is all pretty much limited to applications that link directly to
> > arts, which aren't that many. I think this is much less of an issue than
> > e.g. the use of libart_lgpl, which for some reason is being linked in for
> > every possible KDE application.
>
> Konqueror dlopens konq_sound which uses aRts though in the iconview; which is
> very slow already already (1/3rd of a second here; it's a pause and not
> during the intial startup phase, though).
>
> And we do run artsd and knotify on startup, of course.

Please, if you have suggestions to make which are completely orthogonal of
whether to use glib to lessen the portability burden and maintainance cost
of aRts, I would be very pleased if you could do this independantly of the
"should glib be used" thread. Thanks.

I am more than willing to fix or help you fixing any important issues with
aRts that might be a problem for KDE users. But I can't keep track of them
easily if they are always brought up in discussions that are discussing a
different aspect of aRts.

   Cu... Stefan
--
  -* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan at space.twc.de (PGP!), Hamburg/Germany