glib dependancy in KDE3.x

Guillaume Laurent glaurent at telegraph-road.org
Fri Mar 7 18:22:15 GMT 2003

On Friday 07 March 2003 18:45, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> - extreme API/ABI stability
>     -> no virtual inheritance
>     -> no virtual functions
>  - portability
>     -> no exceptions
>     -> no global constructors
>         -> no excessive templates
>         -> no STL
>  - efficiency
>     -> no virtual functions
>         -> no inheritance
>         -> no standard new/delete operators
>  - extreme long-term API/ABI stability
>     -> no inheritance
>  - extreme portability
>     -> no C++

>From my experience and those of my colleagues (working for a company which has
been selling C++ libs for more than 10 years, said libs having an emphasis on
portability, performance and most of all API stability), the only two ones
which are correct are "no excessive templates/no STL" (and these are rapidly
fading away as well). All the others are either unfounded or utterly wrong.
And I don't think you should worry too much about arts being ported to
platforms with a broken STL (would arts really need to use any of the really
complex features of the STL anyay ?).

So again, if these are the reasons why you wrote arts in C (and not because
you wanted Gnome to use it), sorry, you made a *huge* mistake.

--
				Guillaume
				http://www.telegraph-road.org