glib dependancy in KDE3.x

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Fri Mar 7 17:43:34 GMT 2003

On Friday 07 March 2003 00:51, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Thursday March 06, 2003 07:35, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > Hopefully aRts will die soon when MAS obsoletes it.
>
> Sorry.. free software doesn't die.  It just finds a new maintainer.  You'll
> have to hope for something else.
>
> Haven't you heard of binary compatibility?  KDE 3.2 isn't even coming soon,
> let alone KDE 4.

Binary compatibility is for the client side, what transport protocol is used
is unimportant for the application.

I am not hoping to aRts to die, I'am just hoping that some day I dont have to
compile it before upgrading/installing KDE. It really makes no sense to
compile a sound-server for an application server that has no sound, when all
the applications are streaming it anyway to the X-server, and when the code
is hard to port, impossible to read and just plain annoying to compile on a
non-linux platform it puts me in a bad mood.

`Allan