glib dependancy in KDE3.x

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Fri Mar 7 17:34:16 GMT 2003

On Friday 07 March 2003 09:58, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Is pkg-config a huge pain to set up?
>
>  Being zero-pain to get going and zero-dependency is an explicit
>  goal of pkg-config; if there are problems., we'd certainly like
>  to know about it so we can fix them.
>
>  In general, as far as I can tell, pkg-config seems to be
>  doing well at its job at making compilation simple and robust.
>  I'll be neutral on the GLib question, but KDE should use
>  pkg-config :-)

   Well days after my two hour nightmare of trying to get it to work, I can't
remember my problems with it anymore, but I can tell you it was far short of
zero-pain.  I had to set environment variables to point to files that
sometimes did and sometimes did not get installed by the various libraries,
and in some cases I had to go an reinstall libraries that I had already
installed without pkg-config.  I don't want to imagine what this is like on
non-Linux systems.  I think this thing needs to "cook" a little while before
KDE starts using it.

--

George Staikos