glib dependancy in KDE3.x

Stefan Westerfeld stefan at space.twc.de
Fri Mar 7 16:33:33 GMT 2003

   Hi!

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 03:39:10PM +0100, Josef Weidendorfer wrote:
> For me it's the same: I have a cheap SB Live, and with the ALSA driver, apps
> can open /dev/dsp 32x simultaniously! There's really no need for slow
> software mixing of audio data: Every KDE app should access /dev/dsp on its
> own. Can't arts detect the features of the audio card and switch off software
> mixing of not needed?
>
> Of course, some kind of audio server for network transparancy is usefull. But
> this could be a runtime option.

Yes, I agree that for some users it would be more beneficial if some of their
applications (those that don't absolutely need aRts) could talk to the sound
hardware directly, instead of through aRts.

However, please keep the thread on-topic. There are a lot of discussions on
the future of aRts on the kde-multimedia mailing ist. Join there if you're
interested.

Be sure that I will always post conclusions which are important enough to be
blessed by kde-core-devel here. But we did split kde-multimedia from
kde-core-devel from kde-devel from ... for a reason. The place to discuss
KDE and aRts is kde-multimedia. Thanks.

All I can promise until then is that I keep all concerns that have been
brought up against aRts extremely serious, and will try to let all tasks
that have already superior solutions elsewhere in the free software world
be solved elsewhere.

Thus if ALSA already supports kernel hardware mixing perfectly, then I fully
support everybody who wants to use it with my coding and design abilities.

   Cu... Stefan
--
  -* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan at space.twc.de (PGP!), Hamburg/Germany