glib dependancy in KDE3.x

Philippe Fremy phil at freehackers.org
Thu Mar 6 16:56:34 GMT 2003

	Hi,

I remind or inform you that glib will also be a dependancy for the
accessibility module, planned to be implemented as a plugin. So we have
actually  three projects which are going to depend on glib.

I think that for the projects where it makes sense, glib dependency should
be accepted. It is a pity to waste developer's time developing something
that exists elsewhere in better and maintained quality.

What are the projects for which it makes sense ? Sofar, we've seen two
cases:
- a KDE project wants to talk to a gnome project. This is the case for
arts/gstreamer and kde-accessibility/at-spi.
- a project is developed within the scope of KDE but can not depend on Qt
because the scope of the project is wider than KDE. That's the case for
wv2.

In both cases, the glib dependency makes sense.

For those who find it unfair that we accept to depend on a gnome project and
not the opposite, look at glib. It is used heavily in gnome but it is not
gnome. It is a library of utilities. The problem on our side is that Qt mix
in one library many things: xml, containers, strings, widgets, shared
library loader, database access, ...

The closest thing we have to glib is tinyQ
(http://www.uwyn.com/projects/tinyq/).

Of course, I think it is important that we still ensure that KDE can still
be built without glib. GLib should be an optional dependency, that will
disable some features.

	regards,

	Philippe

--
- Dad, why should we hide from the Police ?
- Because they use Emacs son, and we use Vi!