KShell: argument splitting and tilde expansion

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sat Mar 1 19:45:43 GMT 2003

moin,

due to the incredible demand for such functionality (there seem to be
roughly as many (more or less broken) implementations out there as kde
apps), i've implemented a class with a few static functions that cover
some basic ((posix) shell)/bash functionality.

tildeExpand is self-explaining, i think.

splitArgs performs bash-like argument splitting. the following
quotings prevent word-splitting:
- backslash.
- single quotes. everything between them is taken literally.
- double quotes. the backslash can be used to escape the double quote
  (and itself).
- bash-like $'' quoting. read the bash man page for details.
note that backslashes preceeding non-special chars are treated literally.
splitArgs can optionally perform tilde expansion, too. note that this is
the only place where this is allowed, as
- before splitting you don't know where words begin
- after splitting the quotes are gone, so you don't know whether tilde
  expansion was intended by the user
possible todo:
- simple substitutions ($var, ${var})
- complex substitutions (${var:-foo})
- command substitutions ($(echo hallo), `echo hallo`)
- pipes, redirections ($(echo foo|clobber 2>/dev/null))
- command lists ($(echo foo; echo bar))
- complex commands (conditions, loops, grouping, assignments, functions)
- smoke weaker shit to get the feet back on the ground

i provided joinArgs just in case somebody needs it, even though i didn't
find a place where it would be needed, yet.

comments welcome.

greetings