About the clock...

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Jun 30 00:39:16 BST 2003

On Friday 27 June 2003 14:29, Andras Mantia wrote:
> And I think the problem will be present in case of
> larger networks with different KDE version (3.0, 3.1, 3.2) on them,
> but sharing the same config dir and depending on which one you will
> log in, the clock will be different.

So far all versions of KMail made incompatible changes to it's config
files. So using KMail from different KDE version with the same config
dir is dangerous (e. g. you risk loosing all identities). If you want
to keep going back to older KDE versions then use separate $KDEHOMEs.

kconf_update was introduced to make adding support for old config files
to the applications unnecessary. But backwards compatibility can't be
guaranteed without support (reading _and_ writing) of obsolete
configuration formats directly in the application. Yes, it's
unfortunate that there are sometimes incompatible changes in the config
file format. But sometimes those changes are necessary in order to fix
bad design decisions which result in bugs which can't be fixed without
changing the config file format.

Regards,
Ingo