KConfig Bug?

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Thu Jun 26 22:44:27 BST 2003

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 10:54:48PM +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> For an example I have attached a patch to kcmkonsole. KCMKonsole::load()
> applies the user's configuration to the GUI while, with this patch applied,
> KCMKonsole::defaults() applies the system settings to the GUI, ignoring the
> user's own settings.

yes, but there are two types of "system" settings:
- the hardcoded defaults for read*Entry
- the config files in $KDEDIR
so a setMergingMode() function would take an enum:
{ LocalMerge, GlobalOnly, Defaults }
LocalMerge is the way kconfig usually works.
GlobalOnly ignores the user's local settings. reading the entries this
way and writing them back (to the local files) would essentially do what
ben wants, provided the keys that don't differ from the global settings
are deleted from the local file (which is arguable, btw).
the Defaults mode would be the one for the kcm, which retrieves
hard-coded built-in defaults, i.e., ignores the config files
alltogether.
btw, the difference between GlobalOnly and Defaults would go away,
if we implemented that kconfig XT variant, where the global config files
are the authoritative source of default values - well, in fact,
Defaults would go away entirely. Unless of course another global
directory (configdefaults) would be created, which is shadowed (read:
overriden) by the usual global config dir. oh, well, i already said this
some months ago. :)

greetings