Trouble with gzipped files

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Jun 20 17:13:21 BST 2003

 Hello,

 mimetypes wizard needed. Say that I have a couple of .ps.gz files, and when
browsing them in Konqueror, I want to view them in KGhostview (this is
actually from a user posting at a local newsgroup). And since KGhostview can
handle .ps.gz files itself, let's extend this also to wanting to view txt.gz
files normally in KWrite or something that can't do this. Given that I can
normally browse and handle files in compressed tar archives, this all seems
logical.

 First, for completeness, let's mention Ark. Some people may like it, but I'm
among those that don't, and disable all its associations. Browsing directly
in Konqy's standard iconview feels a lot better, not to mention things like
doubleclicking a file actually does something, and viewing a HTML file loads
the KHTML part.

 But the tar:/ kioslave doesn't handle single gzipped files. However, there's
gzip:/ , and things like kwrite file:/home/llunak/docs/xsmp.PS.gz#gzip:/
work. Two questions:
- why I don't get this gzip:/ protocol, even though I have nothing associated
with *.gz ?
- after it's enabled, could somebody fix ;) the subtle details like the 'do
you with to open this file dialog?' after clicking on a .ps.gz file, or
embedded kghostview not being able to handle such URL ?

 Second part: Since KGhostview can handle ps.gz itself, I could try to add
*.ps.gz to as extension to the application/postscript mimetype. Now, after
clicking on a .ps.gz file, I get KGhostview ... and KGhostview error.
KGhostview uses "KFilterDev::deviceForFile( _fileName, _mimetype )" with
_mimetype being "application/ghostscript", and that's the problem. The .ps.gz
file is no longer considered gzip file, so this call will be basically a
no-op.

  Either I assign *.ps.gz to application/ghostscript, in which case the right
app is started for the file, but won't be able to handle the file, or I don't
do this association, in which case the app can handle the file, but won't be
started. Even if KGhostview didn't explicitly pass the mimetype, KIO would
still find it out itself. Any magical solution?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org