KDE and non-KDE apps

Craig Drummond Craig.Drummond at gmx.net
Thu Jun 19 15:42:03 BST 2003

Hi,

In the colors KControl module there's the option to "Apply colors to non KDE
apps". Is there any reason why someone would *not* want this to happen?
(Basically I'm thinking about remving the option and always setting the colours -
and renaming the .gtkrc-kde file to $kdehome/share/config/gtkrc   (one less
hidden file in my home dir!))

Another point: As there's now a few KDE styles with matching GTK
counterparts (Keramik/Geramik, Blue/Free/QtCurve, Mandrake Galaxy), I'd like to modify
krdb to also set the GTK style (as well as colours). My idea is that KDE
should set the GTK_RC_FILES and GTK2_RC_FILES to point to KDE's gtkrc files, and
then have these include the gtkrc file for the Gtk style. To match a KDE style
with a GTK style, the style's .themerc file should indicate which Gtk and
Gtk2 styles it matches with. e.g.

    GTK_RC_FILES=$GTK_RC_FILES:$kdehome/share/config/gtkrc
    GTK2_RC_FILES=$GTK_RC_FILES:$kdehome/share/config/gtkrc-2.0

    keramik.themerc

        [KDE]
        WidgetStyle=Keramik
        GtkStyle=Geramik
        Gtk2Style=Geramik

(If there is no GtkStyle, then it should default to WidgetStyle)

All krdb now has to do is write a $kdehome/share/config/gtkrc with the line:
    include "/usr/share/themes/Geramik/gtk/gtkrc"

...if "/usr/share/themes/Geramik/gtk/gtkrc" does not exist, no harm is done
as the GTK_RC_FILES would still point to "/etc/gtkrc:$HOME/.gtkrc"

Does this sound OK? I've already hacked the code, and it seems to work. (The
gtk install dir is discovered via pkg-config / gtk-config - and defaults to
"/usr")

Craig.