Style preview has a 0.5s lag

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Sun Jun 15 12:07:14 BST 2003

On Sunday, 15 June 2003 06:46, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > The reason the 0.5 second delay is there is to ensure that if a user
> > scrolls through the style listview via a keyboard,  the style preview is
> > not updated when a user holds the up/down arrows while scrolling through
> > the list. The 0.5 second number was an arbitrary number selected to be
> > greater than the keyboard repeat rate.
>
> Wouldnt a 0.1 or 0.2 second delay then be more appropiate. (a number
> greater than keyboard repeat rate, but fast enough not to seem slow)

Isn't the keyb delay extractable (with xset or with Xlib calls) and then
useable as a variable instead of a hardwired constant?

And while speaking of this, I believe this kind of ... adaptive behavior
(delaying the call to the action associated with selecting an item in a list
if this selection is one in a series triggered by sequential keyboard
navigation) is rather a common occurence in modern GUIs. E.g., kmail exposes
the same rather annoying fast-message-display-undisplay when browsing the
headers in a folder by holding the "next" or "previous" key down.

I kind of thought that internals of listviews and such were programmed to take
this into consideration. If not, probably it would be a good thing to make
them to.

Thanks for your attention.

--
Cristian Tibirna