PATCH: 1st part of the patch to solve the "large file upload problem"

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Sat Jun 7 15:11:23 BST 2003

On Friday 06 June 2003 08:04, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Fre, 06 Jun 2003, Dawit A. wrote:
> > > can't we avoid the filenname part and send the filedescriptor directly?
> >
> > Is there an advantage to doing that ?
>
> Avoiding a race. When I pass by filename, I don't know when its safe to
> remove the temp file.
>
> > would have to adjust stuff in the job if we are going to use file
> > descriptors since QFile does not really play nice with file descriptors
> > according to the docs.
>
> Huh? QFile works fine with fd's for me.

I did not say it does not work. All I meant by "does not play nice" is a
reference to the Troll's own doc regarding  QFile::open ( int m, int f ):

"The QFile that is opened using this function, is automatically set to be in
raw mode; this means that the file input/output functions are slow. If you
run into performance issues, you should try to use one of the other open
functions. "

The job cannot close a QFile opened this way either. However, with the
adjustments I am making as result of Waldo's reminder about moving the resend
stuff down to the io-slaves, this issue does not matter.

Regards,
Dawit A.