new kde project

Gav Wood gav at kde.org
Fri Jun 6 01:19:35 BST 2003

> Anyway, if the general opinion is putting it in kdeutils, I'm ok with that,
> as long as someone adds a way to quit irkick and restart it.

since it's a kded service, to restart it all you have to do is go into
kcontrol and under service manager select the lirc entry and press the stop
button, followed by the start button.

this doesn't allow you to tell the cpu usage, but its job is such that it
would be highly unlikely to cause any sort of cpu usage on anything higher
than a 386 --- if you really wanted to test it you could disable all other
kded services, wait for a quiet time when kded wouldn't be doing anything by
itself and start using irkick.

the reason i coded it as a plugin (aside to allow more transparent integration
with kde) was to allow inbuilt starting of the service (and it *is* a
service) as kde starts up; putting it in the Autostart folder or whatever
just doesn't seem a correct or elegant solution. i'm actually quite pleased
with the integration, especially compared to how it was when it was a program
on its own.

gav

ps kdelibs sounds ok :-)
--