XFree86 from source (was: Re: Please add more lib checking to cvs HEAD kdelibs)

Daniel Stone dstone at kde.org
Sun Jun 1 12:59:33 BST 2003

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 01:48:20PM +0200, David Faure wrote:
> On Sunday 01 June 2003 13:41, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > On Fre, 30 Mai 2003, Miles T Lane wrote:
> >
> > > The problem is that the libz.a that XFree86 ships
> > > lacks the symbol.
> >
> > There are still distributions that install this broken libz from XFree?
>
> Not distros, but "make install" from the XFree sources does that (or rather,
> did that the last time I tried, quite some time ago).

Installing from XFree86 source is always a bad idea; you should always
pick up either Debian's or Red Hat's patches (we try to keep our patch
trees pretty well synced), and apply all of them first. XFree86 pristine
tarballs really suck; take it from me. :\

-d

--
Daniel Stone 	     <daniel at raging.dropbear.id.au>             <dstone at kde.org>
KDE: Konquering a desktop near you - http://www.kde.org