Community and commercial interests

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Thu Jul 31 11:38:49 BST 2003

On Donnerstag, 31. Juli 2003 12:22, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Thursday 31 July 2003 12:01, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > On Donnerstag, 31. Juli 2003 11:10, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > I can only repeat: we're doing good stuff and we have our ways of doing
> > so, because we do it for the fun of it (as one reason to do it, there are
> > also others in many cases, but fun is definetly one of the highest
> > ranking ones). Take the fun factor away and you'll loose a good part of
> > the motivation of the volunteers.
>
> We also do some stuff suboptimal and this also it takes fun away
> and looses motivation for the volenteers.

You can't just claim it's all not working and too complicated. KDE has a
certain technical level that you have to get through, but 800 volunteers
can't be wrong or we have the creme de la creme (all kick-ass developers) in
the free software development world employed in KDE, which is also a nice-to-
have thingy :-)

Besides: throughout the whole discussion I'm completely missing the point
about *what* we're discussing anyway ? That KDE doesn't work for you or that
it's too unstable ? That someone needs to have a say where someone is allowed
to work on to not break the stability level ?

That's the level where you implicitely want a quality-control technical
steering commitee.

Please help me understand what inside the KDE infrastructure you want to have
changed where and how and, most importantly, why, and how you estimate what
we would win compared to what we would loose.

> > KDE's only entry level is
> > the ability to read, write and think. Get the code, write a patch, send
> > it in and you're part of the game - and you're as valuable as anyone else
> > for the sake of the whole project.
>
> That is an illusion.
> There are unwritten rules and hidden connections of power within KDE
> like with any other human organisation of similiar size.
> If you hide that, it only means that those rules and connections
> are continously developing further without concious reflection.

The unwritten rule is: get the job done. The way to do that is the rule above:
write a patch and send it in.

The written rules are on http://developer.kde.org, Stephan Kulow has the final
say for KDE 3.2 as the one who is responsible for it.

Ralf

Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org