kicker/taskmanager classes have d-pointers, but don't have .h files installed

Richard Moore rich at xmelegance.org
Wed Jul 30 23:20:44 BST 2003

On Monday 28 July 2003 13:41, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  Hello,
>
>  the subject basically says it all. Classes in the
> kdebase/kicker/taskmanager kicker's internal library have d-pointers, thus
> suggesting this lib is supposed to stay BC, but it actually doesn't have .h
> files installed, so BC doesn't make any sense there.
>
>  Will anybody mind if I remove the d-pointers, and while I'll be at it,
> also break the BC a bit (since I have no other idea how to fix something
> there) ?

I added the dpointers when I cleaned up and documented the API of these
classes for use in kasbar. I also moved a lot of the cooler kasbar code such
as window thumbnailing into the shared api at the same time. The basic idea
was to make it possible for the various task managers to share this code
nicely and to allow developers to add features to the api without forcing
users to recompile all their other task managers.

My personal preference would be for you to break b/c now, and then to move the
library to kdelibs so that other people can use it. I've had a couple of
requests for info about it from people who want to write their own task
managers, so I feel it makes sense to add this to the public API of KDE.

Cheers

Rich.