Qt 3.2 requirement

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Wed Jul 30 10:28:46 BST 2003

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 22:28, Marc Mutz wrote:
> Pardon? Ever heard about #ifdef KDE_IS_VERSION(...)? Just deactivate the
> feature if compiled against the old lib... Where's the problem?
We're talking about Qt features, don't we?

Think of little features: like QString::find(QString) added to ::find(QRegExp).
In code that should work with Qt 3.0 I still had to create the QRegExp even
though it makes my code slow and fat - if I want to avoid #ifdef or ugly hacks.

Think of UI files: you can't #ifdef in them. Do you want to have a UI file per
Qt version?

Think of plugins/styles: yes, they always want to do things that are possible
but generally not documented/allowed. And to my personal impression if you
ask users that compile stuff from the net (all the others only ask for binaries
and don't mind if they have to download two or three binaries) if they want
cool effects or stable API, they will answer: what's an API?

Greetings, Stephan