Qt 3.2 requirement

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Wed Jul 30 08:06:02 BST 2003

On Mittwoch, 30. Juli 2003 02:07, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 July 2003 01:59, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > On Wednesday 30 July 2003 01:14, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> > > So make my point as clearly as possibly can : make the developers'
> > > life as easy as possible. Don't impose rules or restrictions unless
> > > you absolutely have to. There are enough as it is already.
> >
> > Well said. Note that not forcing application developers to upgrade libs
> > is one of those things that makes developers' life easy.
>
> If you're developing a KDE app, then you work only on stable releases,
> which you have to upgrade to sooner or later. As it's been already said,
> upgrading Qt is almost a detail compared to upgrading KDE.

Plus external app developers from apps that you want to compile now use Qt 3.2
too. That means that with designer files you have to try to manually fix the
3.2 tag in the ui's xml code to try to compile it with Qt 3.1.x. That said,
as compatibility between Qt 3.1 and Qt 3.2 is preserved in being backwards
compatible you're still facing the problem of being upwards compatible.

Qt has never been such a big issue like we're discussing it here. Other libs
like libxml2 or other stuff are way more complicated. But if there needs to
be an upgrade to make KDE's life easier, we're asking for it. I think we
should see Qt more as a part of KDE than anything else. And with that the
reasoning for arguing back and forth about using Qt 3.2 with HEAD are bogus.

For the branch, of course, Qt 3.2 would be a "feature update". The users
*could* potentially upgrade Qt from the recommended 3.1 to 3.2, but they
don't have to. branch doesn't change so much and it's a policy there to stick
with Qt 3.1.

I think a further discussion of the whole topic is quite pointless at least
from my POV. People will upgrade and that will over time make it more and
more problematic for those who want to enforce HEAD to run with Qt 3.1.x. If
you want to have that "feature", go ahead and bug people to stay compatible -
or upgrade because your time doesn't permit to step on anyones toes annoying
them to please stick with Qt 3.1 :-)

Ralf

Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org