Qt 3.2 requirement

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Mon Jul 28 15:20:22 BST 2003

On Monday 28 July 2003 13:25, Chris Howells wrote:

> If I'm not mistaken, GTK/GNOME already support Indic languages, and I think
> it's pretty pathetic if when KDE 3.2 is released we don't have decent
> support for them, because we _should_.

Yes. We should support and probably also require Qt 3.2 for the KDE 3.2
release. All I'm trying to say is that we should be very careful about when
and how we introduce the _requirement_ for Qt 3.2, i.e. when we give up
support for Qt 3.1.x.

> > trouble it causes for application developers who are forced to upgrade Qt
> > without gaining anything.
>
> I would agree to an extent, but if the developers are using CVS HEAD then
> the least of their problems should be compiling a new Qt.

If all goes well it costs some hours to compile it. We can save many
developers this time, if we wait until the major distributions provide binary
packages.

> > It's a frustrating experience, if you want to quickly fix a bug and then
> > realize that you first have to compile a new version of Qt, before you
> > can test your fix. This costs us developers.
>
> If you're running CVS HEAD, you have to compile KDE regularly.

That's already a problem. No need to make it even worse.