Qt 3.2 requirement

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Fri Jul 25 22:56:19 BST 2003

On Friday 25 July 2003 19:47, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> I ack coolo that supporting two versions is a pain. Hence my question where
> a KDE 3.1.x environment has problems with Qt 3.2 so people wanting to use
> Qt 3.2 can given an exact answer where to expect problems if they want to
> use KDE 3.1 with it.

Since Kopete has standalone releases that have to compile against other KDE/Qt
versions I can confirm from personal experience that maintaining
compatibility across multiple versions is a pain if you also want to use the
newest stuff where it's available (or are used to it and forget it wasn't in
the old version).

For Kopete it's something we'll have to live with, but for KDE in general I'd
strongly recommend AGAINST maintaining 3.1 compatibility. Makes sense for
some apps that have to compile against older libs like kmail, but for kdelibs
itself and all apps that depend on HEAD kdelibs I'm all for requiring 3.2.

I encourage anyone who disagrees to try maintaining compat for a fairly big
application for a few months and then tell about the experiences. I'm pretty
confident all of you would instantly agree with Coolo and Ralf by then! :)

--
Martijn