KSplashScreen (was Re: Qt 3.2 requirement)

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Jul 25 12:21:00 BST 2003

On Friday 25 of July 2003 10:50, Chris Howells wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Friday 25 July 2003 00:03, Ravikiran Rajagopal wrote:
> > FYI: KSplash/ML, which will be included with KDE 3.2 has a managed mode
> > which makes it available for *all* DCOP-aware applications, not just for
> > KDE startup. It has a plugin architecture (along the lines of window
> > decorations) which handles plugins made with C++ code, and is also pixmap
> > themeable. Please see the documentation at docs.kde.org which has cut and
> > paste code examples.
> >
> > I have tried to make it as light as possible (in terms of resources and
> > startup time), and will continue to do so as much as possible. It already
> > supports global configuration of closing on click, and disabling it
> > entirely based on a global config is trivial. If it is started via
> > kdeinit (as I expect it will be), I see no reason for it to be any slower
> > than QSplashScreen.
>
> I'm not convinced that a something that uses dcop, has a C++ plugin
> architecture and is pixmap themeable is going to be quicker than
> QSlashScreen which is perhaps one of the most trivial classes in Qt, not
> doing much more than use QPainter to draw a pixmap.

 Agreed.

> I will endeavour to do some testing of performance, but as someone that
> detests splash screens (that's why I wrote KSplashScreen) I think that if
> there are any performance penalties this functionality should be removed
> from KSplash/ML and left to KSplashScreen.

 BTW, I just committed support for _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_SPLASH to kwin_iii,
which allows it to greatly reduce the annoyance of QSplashScreen (no covering
of everything else, sane stacking order, being only on one virtual desktop,
hiding after clicking on it, disabling them completely is just a matter of
adding one checkbox). The patch itself is quite short, so I'll see how easily
it will apply to HEAD -> unless you care about the lack of this feature in
other GUIs/WMs, there's probably no need for KSplashScreen.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org