Qt 3.2 requirement

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Fri Jul 25 06:33:21 BST 2003

On Freitag, 25. Juli 2003 00:16, Chris Howells wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday 23 July 2003 20:53, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> > Well as it is we cannot build KDE libs without Qt 3.2 and every day
> > someone contributes another UI file or tidbit of code that is only in
> > 3.2.  I guess what im getting at is maby we need to be more clear that we
> > are using Qt 3.1.x until further notice.
>
> I would like to see a Qt 3.2 requirement as soon as possible.

I guess the only thing that currently prevents that pretty much is the rumours
about KDE 3.1.x not working correctly with Qt 3.2. I've build Qt 3.2 from
scatch to test that and replaced qt-3.1.2 on a test machine with KDE 3.1.2
with it to see how it works out. I can't see any odd behaviors or anything
that wouldn't allow us to switch to Qt 3.2 generally, so the question is:
what are the "bugs" that Qt 3.2 would trigger in a KDE 3.1.x environment ?

Ralf

> * Testing with Qt 3.2 will hopefully reduce the number of bugs in it
> leading to a nice stable Qt 3.2 when KDE 3.2 is released (still a while off
> I know).
>
> * Having most of the developers using Qt 3.2 and a few using 3.1 is a mess,
> with Qt 3.2 depending code creeps into CVS regularly. I don't think it's
> going to be possible to stop that from happening, leading to moaning from
> those still using 3.1
>
> * I want to commit KSplashScreen, based on QSplashScreen but with the
> option to globally turn off all splash screens, and remove all custom
> splash screens and replace them with KSplashScreen if possible.

Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org