KSplashScreen (was Re: Qt 3.2 requirement)

Ravikiran Rajagopal ravi at ee.eng.ohio-state.edu
Fri Jul 25 00:03:44 BST 2003

> * I want to commit KSplashScreen, based on QSplashScreen but with the
> option to globally turn off all splash screens, and remove all custom splash
> screens and replace them with KSplashScreen if possible.

FYI: KSplash/ML, which will be included with KDE 3.2 has a managed mode which
makes it available for *all* DCOP-aware applications, not just for KDE
startup. It has a plugin architecture (along the lines of window decorations)
which handles plugins made with C++ code, and is also pixmap themeable.
Please see the documentation at docs.kde.org which has cut and paste code
examples.

I have tried to make it as light as possible (in terms of resources and
startup time), and will continue to do so as much as possible. It already
supports global configuration of closing on click, and disabling it entirely
based on a global config is trivial. If it is started via kdeinit (as I
expect it will be), I see no reason for it to be any slower than
QSplashScreen.

Regards,
Ravi