[Announcement] www.kdedevelopers.org

Ian Reinhart Geiser geiseri at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 19 21:02:02 BST 2003

Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 16:01:10 -0400

Greetings,
Im pleased to announce to the KDE Developers http://www.kdedevelopers.org.

After I setup my companies new web server, we found we had some extra CPU a=
nd=20
bandwidth to burn.    I took this opportunity to setup a weblog for KDE=20
Developers in hopes that we could have a central area for all KDE developer=
s=20
to have a central place to keep them.  This service is currently only=20
available to anyone who is a KDE contributer.  Im working on a script to=20
import kde-accounts accounts in, but currently its easier just to let=20
interested users create accounts.  The idea here, is that this is mainly fo=
r=20
KDE contributers.  I have no plans to open this up to users at this point.

The big goal here is to provide a central place for KDE Developers to keep=
=20
journals of ideas, and to think out loud.  Comments will be allowed by gues=
t=20
users for now, but are going to be moderated, and turned off if there are t=
oo=20
many trolls.  This site by no means is meant to compete or replace the Dot,=
=20
or any other KDE news site, but to generate content for these news sites.  =
My=20
personal goal with this site is to allow some transparency to KDE developme=
nt=20
without cluttering the lists with raw ideas that are not quite ready for=20
prime time.  Here we can post them, discuss them, let them mature, and then=
=20
move on to the lists.    One other goal of this site is to provide=20
development journals for developers who wish to share their progress on the=
ir=20
projects.

=46eatures:
	* Drupal support BloggerAPI so any bloggerapi client should work with it. =
 I=20
am working on a KDE front end currently, and debugging a WAP interface too.=
 =20
The URL for this is http://www.kdedevelopers.org/xmlrpc.php
=09
	* There is a rich text editor for the text edit dialogs.  It currently wor=
ks=20
in IE and safari.  Ideally this means it will work in KDE someday too.

	The database is backed differentially on a nightly basis, and a full backu=
p=20
is done once a month.  This should keep the risk of dataloss minimal.
=09
	* Each user is allowed to upload 5mb of 1mb images for use in posts or ima=
ge=20
galleries.

	* RSS feeds are available for pretty much every page.  RSS feeds can be pe=
r=20
user, or for all blogs as an example.  Since these are cached they are pret=
ty=20
light and I encourage them to be used.

	* Polls are supported by every user.  They are moderated by the other user=
s=20
and given enough votes it will appear on the front page.

	* Stories like polls are created by any user but are moderated to the fron=
t=20
page.  Developers are encouraged to write stories about new projects they a=
re=20
working on, ideas and code.  As these become more refined and ready for the=
=20
front page, other sites like dot.kde.org and freekde.org can pick them up. =
=20
The goal there is not to replace these sites but provide them with much mor=
e=20
content.

	* Static pages are special.  These are reserved for content that is always=
=20
going to be a part of www.kdedevelopers.org.  These must be moderated also,=
=20
and cannot be finally posted without administrator permission.

Limitations:
	* Currently this site is being fed by a 1.5Mb down, 768kb up DSL feed.  I=
=20
have the virtual server throttled at 128kbs to keep my main site from getti=
ng=20
killed.  Currently ive seen no problems with this, but im keeping an eye on=
=20
it.

	* Migrations to drupal from other blog systems is cumbersome at best. =20
Ideally this will get easier as time goes on, but its on the back burner fo=
r=20
now.

	* There is probably other stuff I have forgotten but as it comes to light =
it=20
will be posted.

With that out of the way please check out:=20
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/user/register and create yourself a new accoun=
t=20
if you don't have one already.

It takes anywhere from 15minutes to 24 hours for accounts to become active,=
 so=20
don't panic if it takes a while, just try back in a few minutes.

Also the standard disclaimer.  These views on this site are not meant as a=
=20
reflection of KDE policy.  These are the views of each individual KDE=20
developer and are to be take as such. =20

Cheers
	-ian reinhart geiser
=09
=2D --=20
=2D --:Ian Reinhart Geiser <geiseri at yahoo.com>
=2D --:Public Key: http://geiseri.myip.org/~geiseri/publickey.asc
=2D --:Public Calender: http://geiseri.myip.org/~geiseri/publicevents.ics
=2D --:Jabber: geiseri at geiseri.myip.org
=2D --:Be an optimist -- at least until they start moving animals in=20
=2D --:   pairs to Cape Canaveral. ~ Source Unknown