DCOPserver bug with broadcasts

Alexander Kellett lypanov at kde.org
Mon Jul 14 14:12:23 BST 2003

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 01:49:45PM +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Don't use broadcasts but use DCOP signals instead. Most likely you are not
> interested in waking up every dcop-enabled process anyway, in which case a
> broadcast would be a first-rate performance killer.

unfortunately in this case thats not possible from what
i know as it would break backwards compatibility without
some horrific hacks that david didn't seem to keen on
when i suggested them :)

> The semantics might become a bit clearer if we force the DCOPClient <-->
> DCOPObject to be 1:1. That would break the kcookiejar mentioned above, but it
> would be easy to provide a	proxy DCOPObject that simply redirects from one
> dcop-object to another. DCOPObject would then need to be extended with:

this sounds like a much cleaner solution to me.
but, as with the first it does possibly change semantic
compatibility, so not sure if its a good idea in a
non major release.

thanks for the feedback!
Alex