separators and titles in the kmenu

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Thu Jan 30 23:37:28 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 21:43, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> finally I committed a patch to kicker which adds the ability to have menu
> separatoors and titles in the kmenu.
>
> For a separator: separator.desktop
> [Desktop Entry]
> Type=Application
> Exec=InsertMenuSeparator
>
> and for a title:
> [Desktop Entry]
> Name=KOffice suite
> Type=Application
> Exec=InsertMenuTitle
>
> And using SortOrder in the .directory this feature makes even sense :-)

I think this abuses .desktop files a little bit too much.

Other than, there is an effort under way to have a menu standard which will
hopefully be shared by both GNOME and KDE as well as others and I'm working
to implement it for KDE 3.2. See for the current draft:
http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu/draft/menu-spec/menu-spec.html

And the mailinglist can be found at:
xdg-list at freedesktop.org

Since the current version does not foresee a specific sortorder, seperators or
specific titles you might want to read up on it and make some suggestions for
how to add those to the standard.

Cheers,
Waldo