Fwd: "International Domain Names" support in KDE

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Thu Jan 23 12:37:39 GMT 2003

> In order to support this, we either link against libidn, which is bloat
> given that Qt has most of the necessary tables already and that libidn
> includes much more than the necessary Unicode Normalization Forms.
> Or we implement the nameprep transformations (should be easy, it's
> table-driven and a perl script to extract the tables from the RFC
> should be easy to write), the KCNF and the punycode algorithm (source
> included in RFC) in Qt/KDE until glibc has support for it.

We can create a plugin that links against libidn. We only need to load it when
we actually need it (when we encounter an IDN). More optimal solutions can be
created down the road.

To get the basics working we only need to hook the ToUnicode transformation
into KURL::prettyURL and ToAscii in KExtendedSocket::doLookup(...)

Should be pretty straigtforward.

Cheers,
Waldo