Fwd: "International Domain Names" support in KDE

Krall, Gary gkrall at verisign.com
Thu Jan 23 01:48:58 GMT 2003

Dirk (et. at):

At the request of David Faure I am responding to Dirks' email below to the
list in an effort to provide broader education regarding IDNs.

At the macro level the problem is that DNS is fundamentally an 128-bit ASCII
world.  It has no conception of Unicode or characters above this range.  As
a consequence some form of encoding must take place.  Therefore a working
group of the IETF (IDN Working Group) has been working on a series of
documents which specifically address how client based applications should
perform this encoding/decoding function.

Essentially there are 4 documents which address the issue of "IDNs" within
applications.  Of the 4 only one has moved from a Draft to a full RFC and
Verisign, like the rest of the world, is waiting for the other 3 to go the
same route.  We are optimistic that this will happen within the next 90 days
given the fact that Stringprep has been approved and relies on the other 3.

The specific documents are:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-idna-14.txt which is the
overview document.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-punycode-03.txt this
describes the encoding routine (more on this below)

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-nameprep-11.txt this
describes name preparation

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3454.txt?number=3454 this RFC describes string
preparation.

Currently there are only 4 TLDs which have launched a commercial IDN
service.  They are:  .com, .net, .org and .jp.  As the commercial service
was launched prior to the standards noted above the implementation for these
4 domains are based on the following documents:

http://www.i-d-n.net/draft/draft-ietf-idn-race-02.txt - which is the
encoding (precursor to Punycode) and

http://www.i-d-n.net/draft/draft-ietf-idn-nameprep-03.txt which is an early
version of NamePrep.

Once the above "drafts" have become standards then Verisign (.com, .net),
JPRS (.jp) and Public Interest Registry (.org) will begin the process of
migrating to the standards off their current implementations.  In addition,
all of the ccTLDs who did not launch an IDN service will begin to
immediately implement based on the standards (in particular .se, .dk, .de,
.ru, .cn, .tw and .kr).

Now in terms of software there are two reference implementations.  One is
from JPNIC which is referred to as "IDNkit" and can be found at:
http://www.nic.ad.jp/ja/idn/mdnkit/download/index.html and Verisign's
"Xcode" which we produce and I would be pleased to send this to the
appropriate person who would look to facilitate this integration.

Gary.