Fwd: "International Domain Names" support in KDE

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Thu Jan 23 01:11:35 GMT 2003

On Don, 23 Jan 2003, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> Actually, that's a problem in KURL. I've done a quick check in other places,
> and they all use QStrings and don't care about the contents. They just
> happily feed it to the lookup procedures.

Yes, some parts are unicode safe, except the most problematic one: KURL
itself, which has numerous hacks for file:/ urls and the encoding problems
associated with it.

> It isn't Konqueror's or KDE's fault, then. It won't work in Konqueror because
> the DNS server resolving it (Network Solution's) says it doesn't exist when
> we do an IPv6 lookup, which is always done first. And even if we did the v4
> one first, any subsequent lookups would fail.

Thats flawed. Why does it do an IPv6 lookup? I have not a single network
device that supports IPv6. even if it would manage to get an ipv6 address,
there is no possible way to contact the ipv6 server.

Why do we significantly slow down the dns resolution by wasting time on
looking up ipv6 if the system cannot handle it ?

--
Dirk (received 69 mails today)