comments on KDE performance tips

Alexander Kellett lypanov at kde.org
Wed Jan 15 14:16:06 GMT 2003

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 03:53:44PM +0100, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 January 2003 15:00, Alexander Kellett wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 09:36:12AM -0500, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> > > The likely reason is that Mandrake initscripts inappropriately clear
> > > /tmp/kde-* directories on bootup, which forces KDE to rebuild ksyscoca
> > > cache everytime on bootup. I suggest you comment out that line in
> > > /etc/rc.d/rc.sysint
> > > (Search for "#GNOME and KDE related cleanup")
> >
> > why hasn't kde been changed to use /var/tmp yet?
> > i thought that was the supposed "proper" location
> > for this stuff?
>
> The reason is backwards compatibility with KDE 2.x, but I think that can be
> solved with a symlink so I will add it to my todo list. Should "share/cache"
> be moved there as well?

i'd say so given its semi-temporary nature, but i never took
the time to read the fs specs, i'm surprised that distributions
such as mandrake didn't take the time to fix this stuff... :(

Alex

--
"[...] Konqueror open source project. Weighing in at less than
            one tenth the size of another open source renderer"