The kdebase purpose (Was: Re: Moving KMail, KNode, Korn and related libraries to kdepim)

Bo Thorsen bo at sonofthor.dk
Wed Jan 15 07:51:41 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 14 January 2003 22:23, David Pashley wrote:
> I was under the (false?) impression that KDE required kdelibs *and*
> kdebase. with that in mind, I don't see a reason to move them.

KDE is kdelibs and kdebase. And then there's a bunch of optional stuff.
And arts, which I'll leave out of this discussion.

But if you just want to run KDE applications, for example in Blackbox, the
answer isn't that simple. The assumption I was working with is that
things should run without kdebase. If this is no longer the case, then
I'd like to know because then my whole argument for moving the ioslaves
to libs or network is irrelevant.

My arguing point is that it should be possible to install and run kmail
with just kdelibs - basically I want KDE to move in the direction that
all modules can be installed and run without kdebase. For kmail, this is
not possible without moving the ioslaves to either kdepim or kdelibs.
Other apps will have other dependencies. One other package to consider in
this kind of discussion is koffice. IMHO that really shouldn't need
kdebase installed to be able to run (I have no idea if it does; if not,
great!).

So, the question really changes to what is the purpose of kdebase. To me
kdebase is "the apps that make the desktop be KDE". Apps outside of
kdebase should generally be able to run without kdebase installed. AFAICS
only the ioslaves in kdebase prevent this from happening which is why I'm
so much against them being there. The specific ones I'd like to move are:
imap4, ldap, nntp, pop3 and smtp. These are all slaves that often used
apps need to have to be able to function correctly. While they can be
used by konqueror, I can't see that this is a real argument since almost
noone will do that for anything but debugging purposes.

Some will say - and have said - that it's not necessary to worry about
anyone not running KDE. I disagree with this very much. The more we can
make people want to write applications using kdelibs, the better. And
just because KDE just releases source tarballs obviously doesn't mean
that no attention should be given to making other packagers life easier.

Bo.

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark