Moving KMail, KNode, Korn and related libraries to kdepim

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Jan 15 00:34:21 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 15 January 2003 00:56, George Staikos wrote:
> On January 14, 2003 18:49, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > > - Mail related slaves conceptually belongs with the mail program
> >
> > Really?
> >
> > I can read imap in konqueror as well. works just fine. Might be
> > less comfortable than in KMail though.
>
>   Furthermore it should be possible for other people to write kde
> mail clients without requiring kmail installed.

And it should be possible for Gnome/Sawfish/Icewm/Blackbox/fvwm/whatever
users to use KMail without the need to install kdebase just to get
those two slaves. Yes, I know. The distributors should ... blablabla.
What about people who prefer to compile from source? After all KDE
releases source code only, remember? With having the POP3 and the IMAP
slave in kdebase you force those people to download the huge kdebase
tarball just for the tiny POP3 and IMAP ioslaves:

kde/3.1> du -s kdebase/kioslave/pop3/ kdebase/kioslave/imap4/ kdebase/
72      kdebase/kioslave/pop3
288     kdebase/kioslave/imap4
52416   kdebase

That's ridiculous.