Moving KMail, KNode, Korn and related libraries to kdepim

Andy Fawcett andy at athame.co.uk
Tue Jan 14 21:28:15 GMT 2003

First, apologies for breaking threading, I never received the message I
am replying to here, but answering using a c&p from the archive...

Bo wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 January 2003 21:04, Andy Fawcett wrote:
> > On Tuesday 14 January 2003 21:54, Bo Thorsen wrote:
> > > While I agree that smtp and possibly nntp needs to go to kdelibs,
> > > I think that pop3 and imap4 is better placed in kdepim. If not,
> > > then by that line of thought sieve should go to libs too (which I'
> > > obviously wouldn't like).
> > I would prefer to see _all_ ioslaves move to kdelibs, so that they
> > are usable by third party apps too without a huge dependency trail.
>
> That's the other way to do it. But right now there are ioslaves
> scattered over the modules, and if this is the way things are supposed
> to be, then pop3 and imap should go with kmail. If people agree that
> kdelibs should be the place for all stable ioslaves, I have absolutely
> no problem with that.

Totally agree with this.

Personally, I think keeping them all together would be the most sensible
idea, since they are a common resource type (and yes, I think they are
a resource).

> > Just because we want KMail (& co) to be the premier applications of
> > their type, we should not stifle innovation by external developers.
> > Making our ioslaves easy for them to use is one of our best selling
> > points, code-wise, in my opinion. Sticking them behind a dependency
> > chain won't help them at all.
>
> Excuse me? The argument for making it externally available is sound,
> but accusing kmail people of "stifling innovation by external
> developers" is downright insulting and pure flaming troll bait.

Please don't put words into my mouth that were not intended. Trust me,
if I'm wanting to raise the flames, I can do it far more easily and
much more eloquently than that.

I was _not_ accusing anyone. I was trying to point out that by putting
them in an easily accessable place for developers and users alike
(somewhere like kdelibs, which we all have a dependency on anyway), we
would actually avoid the sort of comments that you've just accused me
of.

All I want is for all options to be considered, for all reasons, without
a flame war. I'm sorry you saw my post as provocative, it was certainly
not intended that way.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Fawcett                                     | andy at athame.co.uk