kdebase patches

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sun Jan 12 23:18:36 GMT 2003

Hi,

after I accidentally lost my .kde dir tonight (we should really implement
rsync'ing ~/.kde by default to ~/.kde.backup or something *hmpf*) I found
that the default settings have been changed in regards to setting the
background image and the kicker buttons for a first startup. I don't know who
changed it or who had the idea, but however, kpersonalizer used the
default_gears.jpg wallpaper instead of the previous default_blue.jpg one.

While I think that changing things in the UI where they make sens is nice, I
don't think this wallpaper is appropriate as a default one, because it really
really hurts eyes and doesn't really fit in. The two-color gradient
background is even much better. So I would like to ask if (as tackat has a
very large lag time these days and I can't follow everything) we could revert
to the default_blue wallpaper as the appended patch does. I'm sorry to come
up with this last-minute patch but I think it is necessary for consistency
reasons that we ship KDE with.

The other patch is changing the default apps that show up in kicker. It
reduces the number of them, and the reason I would like to pick this up is
because a) the icons don't really match each other if they are so close to
each other b) kword resp. koffice doesn't have chrystal icons yet so the
kword icon really really hurts here more than it is of any use. Placing it on
the desktop would even be better for future releases, but the distributors
can do that as well (or the koffice package itself has to do that IMHO)

So, this patch removes the big settings menu although other people may think
it's useful - I would even suggest replacing it with kcontrol like KDE always
has been - and removes the kwrite and kword icons because it really hurts to
see those icons - they just don't match :-((

If you want to argue, go ahead, I'm heading 30 and I'm not up for any
discussions after fighting with kdebindings and debian packaging :-) In case
there are any objections, ask Dirk for advice :-)

Ralf
--
We're not a company, we just produce better code at less cost.
Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org

The K Desktop Environment	The KDevelop Project
http://www.kde.org		http://www.kdevelop.org