FWD: Re: Thanks for KDE/Gnome article, and new info request

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Sat Jan 11 21:37:31 GMT 2003

----- Forwarded message from "M. Fioretti" <m.fioretti at inwind.it> -----

Subject: Re: Thanks for KDE/Gnome article, and new info request
From: "M. Fioretti" <m.fioretti at inwind.it>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:45:04 +0100
To: kde-core-devel at kde.org

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 14:02:43 at 02:02:43PM +0100, Waldo Bastian (bastian at kde.org) wrote:

> Very well said. It should be mentioned that the Qt DND API (And I assume that
> also applies to the GTK DND API) is rather simple to use, it's just that the
> underlying magic is complicated, but as an application developer you don't
> need to know anything about that. The idea of XDND is that an application can
> present data in several different formats, and the receiving application can
> choose from that list the format it would like to receive.

So:

	The toolkit, whatever it is, intercepts/loads what must be
	drag and dropped, and passes it to the receiving toolkit
	(which in turn will hand it to the application core)
	via XDND, nobody else involved. Correct?

	XDND is not a piece of software, but a *protocol* which, among
	other things I guess, defines this list of formats, right?

	How does this list looks like? How does it discriminate
	between text and objects like whole files?

	From what you tell me, I assume that there is more than one
	way to pass the same kind of data, text for example. Is this
	true? If yes, why is it so?

> In order for drag and drop to work well between two applications it is
> important they both support at least one common format. It's up to the

This is perfectly clear!

	Thanks to you all for your patience!

		Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

Live for the present, dream of the the future, learn from the past.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

I doni ricevuti dal Padreterno, servono se utilizzati: chi li contempla
gode, ma chi ne fa uso probabilmente aiuta altri a godere.