Moving KMail, KNode, Korn and related libraries to kdepim

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Sat Jan 11 01:43:14 GMT 2003

On Saturday 11 January 2003 01:07, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Saturday 11 January 2003 01:38, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > >
> > > It's already hard to handle dependencies inside a module like
> > > kdepim. Moving some of the dependencies to something like a
> > > kdelibs2 wouldn't make things easier.
> > >
> > > For me the most appealing argument for moving kmail to kdepim is
> > > that this is the option which causes least work to solve our
> > > problem of code duplication.
> >
> > But it could also clean up kdelibs and kdebase by moving everything
> > that requires network-access to kdenetworklibs. Large modules is not
> > a solution to anything only a complication and a demodulization.
>
> We are not only talking about network libs. KMail also has hidden
> dependencies on kdepim, so you would end up with a kdenetworkandpimlibs
> module. I can't see how this would make thing less complex than putting
> KMail into kdepim.
>
> Moving KMail to kdepim doesn't mean that we stop to modularize. In fact
> having this in a single module might make it easier to factor out
> common components because there are not so much constraints as in
> kdelibs.

The problem is that the next to go to kdepim would then be kopete (it is a
personal communication program as well, isnt it?). The groupware features are
so persuasive to use and integrate everywhere, that they need to be possible
to depend on. That means moving parts of kdepim to kdelibs or making and
extra module we can depend on.

To get an idea of what I am thinking of, check the OEone homebase desktop or
the many suggestion for a new kicker(slicker being one). All of these tryes
to integrate outlook-like groupware features directly into the desktop with
much succes. That's why I dream of a sort of kdepim, kmail
(kdegroupware)-interface for checking for new email, appointments in the
calendar (even new ones only received by email) and online status of
friends/coworkers.

With the current CVS-rules these new innovative ideas can only come true if
kdebase/kdenetworks and kdepim all moves to kdelibs and I dont think anyone
really wants that.

`Allan