supporting web standards, not renderers, was: khtml and safari

Vadim Plessky lucy-ples at mtu-net.ru
Fri Jan 10 19:00:24 GMT 2003

On Friday 10 January 2003 21:47, George Staikos wrote:
|  On Friday 10 January 2003 13:25, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  > And, BTW, there are some structures in 'navigator' object (pre-defined
|  > in all existing browsers) which can help.
|  > See attached script which returns following (on my KDE 3.1):
|  >
|  > navigator.vendor = KDE
|  > navigator.product = Konqueror/khtml
|  > navigator.platform = Linux i686 X11
|  >
|  > I am certanly interested what results Safari returns for this script.
|  > Anyone?..
|
|  navigator.vendor = undefined
|  navigator.product = Gecko
|  navigator.platform = MacPPC
|  NS6 = false
|  Gecko = true

This doesn't sound good for me.

It should be something like this:

  navigator.vendor = Apple
  navigator.product = Safari/KHTML
  navigator.platform = MacPPC

or platfrom can better defined as:
  navigator.platform = MacOS X PowerPC

BTW: do we have common Safari/Konqueror mailing list where we can discuss
questions like this?
While I don't have Mac, I am certanly interested in standartization.
We should "make it happen", at least for userAgent strings ;-)

--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released