kio_slaves never die

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Wed Feb 19 14:31:04 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 05 February 2003 23:32, Alexei Dets wrote:
> Problem is in libc?! But what triggers it?

It crashes in the KSocks destructor which gets called when "static
KStaticDeleter<KSocks> med;" gets destructed by libc.

I think there is a problem with the destruction order here. Normally things
get cleaned up from the KApplication destructor but since this is a IO slave
we don't have a KApplication. What might happen is that the global
KLibraryLoader gets destructed before KSocks gets destructed, that would give
problems because the stopSocks() function still tries to unload a library.

This didn't show up in KDE 3.0 because there we just killed the io-slaves. In
KDE 3.1 they are supposed to exit like normal applications.

Does the following patch helps? If not, you may try to see if it helps to get
rid of this whole "med" thing from ksocks.cpp Cleaning things up on exit is
really overrated IMO.

Cheers,
Waldo