[kde-promo] Knoppix with KDE 3.1

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle=eG1X/KtG1iM at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 13 03:28:20 GMT 2003

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

>    scribus! scribus!! scribus!!!
>    kvim

[....]

>    krdc
>    krfb
>    skli
>
> Not KDE-specific, but deerly missed on KNOPPIX:
>
>   espgs (ESP Ghostscript 7.05.5)
>   distcc
>   ccache
>   djvu
>   djview  (Qt-based djvu-viewer)
>
> Thanks for considering,
> Kurt

I'd like to than all the people who make these various new KNOPPIX
iso images featuring KDE possible.

I downloaded an hour ago the version available from
http://ktown.kde.org/~dirk/knoppixkde/

I think it is a marvellous asset for promoting KDE and Linux.

The biggest kudos should still go to Klaus Knopper and all his
helpers and friends from the LinuxTag team who started it all.

I am currently testing the included "distcc" version. I am compiling
KDE HEAD now and use two KDE-NOPPIX powered helper servers to shortcut
the compile time. This seems to work extremely well!

I think it will not be long and every KDE developer will carry a
KDE-NOPPIX with distcc with his laptop -- there could be a big
chance that he could use some otherwise unused Win PC to help
build KDE apps that got bug-fixed, improved or newly created....

Cheers,
Kurt

P.S.: BTW, ESP Ghostscript 7.05.4 is on the CD (under the name of
       "gs-esp") as well as GNU Ghostscript 6.53; also krdc, krfb,
       and ccache are there. As the image currently is less than
       500 MByte, there should be plenty of space left to fulfill
       my other items on the wishlist (scribus, djview, djviewlibre,
       skli and kvim).....