KDE 3.1 build issues w/ DRT templates

Amir Michail amichail at cse.unsw.EDU.AU
Fri Feb 7 08:23:05 GMT 2003

Hi,

When trying to write DRT templates for KDE 3.1 applications
and libraries, we have run into several problems:

(1) there appears to be no easy way to build an individual application
    in a package; simply typing "make app" may not work if it also
    requires other directories to be built first in that package
    (e.g., a shared library)

(2) we would like to instrument a shared library, such as kdeui say,
    and have applications make use of this instrumented library
    instead of the standard one.  Yet using LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get the
    application to use the instrumented version doesn't work; it simply
    uses the uninstrumented version instead.  Adding
    -Linstrumented_lib_path to LDFLAGS before configuring appears to only
    work sometimes:  it usually fails because the configure script ignores
    LDFLAGS and even when it doesn't ignore it, the application still
    links with the uninstrumented version for some reason.

(3) for packages such as kdelibs, it appears that certain directories
    depend on other directories.  We would like to build an instrumented
    version of kprint say without having to compile/instrument other
    libraries that it may depend on.  Rather, if we compile/instrument
    kprint only, it should use the existing installed libraries (which
    are perhaps not even compiled in the kdelibs-3.1 directory at this
    moment); this doesn't appear to be possible in the current setup.

Any hints?

Amir