WM managed MDI (was Re: Three different tab implementations)

falk.brettschneider at gmx.de falk.brettschneider at gmx.de
Tue Feb 4 07:25:58 GMT 2003

You wrote:
> kSirc has a generic interface for the creating the top level mode, right
> now it does the SDI mode and Tabbed modes.  People want both, and I'm
> still not pleased with all the features and would like to try a create a
> new 3rd one.
Your effort for a library would be doubled effort.
There is the QextMDI library, already. Everything is implemented and tested
there. Just load KDevelop-2.1 or KBear and see how it behaves and looks.
QextMDI is generic. In general, you just inherit the mainwindow from
QextMdiMainFrm, set the MDI mode (Tabbed, Win32-MDI, Toplevel, and partially SDI)
via set...-method, and then embed your views with addWindow(...some hints for
placing or docking...). Nothing is easier than that.

> The WM supporting tabbed/mdi modes is a really neat idea, but only KDEs
> WM would support it.  That's simply not acceptable!
>  I want my app to be
> useable in as many environments as possible.THIS IS VERY RIGHT.
If there was WM support for MDI, I would love it since it's a great
approach. But there always must be a fall back solution for the case that there isn't
a WM supporting the fancy MDI features. Otherwise I will not port KDevelop
over to the new approach. So in my opinion a generic lib in kdelibs is
necessary.

Ciao
F at lk