Three different tab implementations

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Sun Feb 2 14:57:00 GMT 2003

On Friday 31 January 2003 22:37, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > With "every app" I meant apps that don't provide a MDI mode right now
> > like e.g. Cervisia.
>
> but that only makes grouping of windows possible, no automagic mdi

(Read my other mail first as this one continues along that line)

Why is this impossible? We have a settings->configure shortcuts in KMainWindow
(XMLGUI I think) already, so what's stopping us from adding a settings->tab
configuration there too if the window manager provides the reuqired means? It
would give all apps based on kdelibs (or gnome libs if it becomes a NETWM
standard) the integration that we want, and it cuts down MASSIVELY on code
duplication and app-level support.

If the app needs to add custom support at all it is mostly down to some
standard actions like 'force open new window' resp. 'force open new tab'
(overriding the normal MDI preference for the app). Quite minimal so to say.
App developers hardly have to write code for free MDI support.

--
Martijn