Integrative work

Jörg Walter jwalt-kde at garni.ch
Wed Dec 24 13:32:02 GMT 2003

On Wednesday, 17. December 2003 23:31, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 December 2003 22:39, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> > On December 17, 2003 05:25 pm, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > > At the very simplest level couldn't a command line application (with
> > > args for
 the options) be written that pops up the dialog and sends
> > > out to stdout the selection?  GTK apps could then easily call this app.
> > >  Right?
> > >
> > > - -Benjamin Meyer
> >
> > And when the user browses to a remote SSH site to retrieve the file via
> > fish?
> >
> > Do you return the fish:// URL or the path to a KTempFile?
>
> You integrate KIO with the FS.

I actually once started such a thing, LD_PRELOAD-based. But it never took off
due to spare time problems. Unfortunately, with glibc LD_PRELOAD is not a
real solution, as they won't promise that you can catch all the various
flavours of stat(). (search on their ML, I got that from the archives)
A kernel-based solution would be much less portable.
But you could at least try to integrate it with Gnome's VFS layer.

--
CU
  Joerg

PGP Public Key at http://ich.bin.kein.hoschi.de/~trouble/public_key.asc
PGP Key fingerprint = D34F 57C4 99D8 8F16 E16E  7779 CDDC 41A4 4C48 6F94