RFC on default settings

David Faure dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Mon Dec 22 18:55:13 GMT 2003

On Monday 22 December 2003 19:47, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Sunday 21 December 2003 20:05, David Faure wrote:
> > Then it would be even more disturbing, no? If you alt+f2/www.kde.org,
> > you'll see the icon appear (stat job from minicli) disappear (when done)
> > appear again (when konqueror opens the site) and disappear again (when
> > done). One could give it a timer before disappearing to work around this,
> > but it would still give a pretty jumpy systray in general...
>
> Hmm, I'd say it's pretty useless within Konqueror windows. It makes sense for
> the separate KIO windows when downloading or copying files, but not with apps
> that ask the KIO window to be hidden like Konq, or with stat jobs.

My example was slightly flawed indeed - konq's own I/O operations indeed
don't appear there (just like they don't pop up a progress dialog window
when not using the all-in-one listview).
Minicli's stat, however, must give some feedback, hence the progress dialog
that appears if the site takes more than a few seconds to answer.

Anyway, even if the systray icon has the same "delay before appearing" as
normal progress dialogs, I still don't like the idea of a "jumping" systray.
All other icons there stay there for the whole session, unless you manually
add/remove any. Difficult problem.

David Faure -- faure at kde.org, dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Qt/KDE/KOffice developer