RFC on default settings

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Fri Dec 19 11:24:13 GMT 2003

On Friday 19 December 2003 11:37, Stephan Binner wrote:
> On Friday 19 December 2003 00:30, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> > so, with 3.2 approaching, here's a bit of a list for default setting
> > changes i'd like to make.. the format of the list is (sorry, no fancy XML
>
> I agree to all your suggestions, and have three additional changes in mind:
>
>  - Change default menu item format to "Description (Name)". The GenericName
>    descriptions are almost complete, and missing ones can be added fast.

I second this.

>  - Default "Network Information Window"'s system tray icon setting to off.

Another vote.

>  - KDE still defaults to non-anti-aliasable fonts and anti-alias is not
>    default? It needs a KPersonalizer run to set anti-aliased fonts. :-(
>
> Also I can't sign the "KDE cannot change default style with every release"
> and would like more space between menu items and visible toolbar spacers.

From my view, KDE has a quite small userbase compared to what it will
have(Beginning of next year seem to be pretty advancing for KDE's part). It
is better if we change styles now than later. Somehow I find it ok, KDE is
afterall still under heavy development(especially UI wise) and it must be
possible to develop - we can't blame ourselves. If there is _good_ reasons to
change style I would go for it. Since the style applies to the whole
enviroment and is consistent it is fairly quick to adapt to. Although my
experience with such changes are low..

My two swedish cents.

			Frans